Teachers on Wheels is looking for experienced Social Workers to address the psychological and social well-being of students, ranging from elementary school to university students, through one-on-one and classroom sessions at our Teachers on Wheels facilities. You should bring experience helping students cope with personal and psychological issues that affect their academic performance, behavior and socialization, especially those students living in the low-socio economic area of rural regions. You will work with teachers, parents, and school administrators to develop plans and strategies to improve students’ academic performance and social development. You will deal with problems such as aggressive behavior, bullying, or frequent absences from school.
How you’ll make an impact:
Together with our Teachers and staff, you will work with underprivileged and at risk youth and help them succeed academically to achieve their goals and set them on a path towards a successful career. Your work takes center stage in Teachers on Wheels’ mission and will be crucial to the organizations success.
What you will do:
- Identify students who need help with learning.
- Assess students’ needs, situations and strengths and determine their goals.
- Develop plans to improve students’ well-being.
- Help students adjust to changes and challenges facing their families, such as illness, divorce, or unemployment.
- Research and refer students to the appropriate level of learning.
- Respond to crisis situations such as child abuse.
- Maintain case files and reports to track student problems and progress and to recognize patterns in behavior.
- Advocate for and help students get resources that would improve their well-being.
- Follow up with students to ensure that their situations have improved.
- Evaluate services provided to ensure that they are effective.
- Trained Social Workers preferably qualified in Social Work studies.
- Previous experience working with a non-profit organization is helpful but not necessary.
- Minimum of 1-2 years working with young people.
- Must demonstrate compassion and empathy for the students.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Problem-solving skills with an ability to develop innovative solutions to the students problems.
- Well organized.
- Proficient in using online tools such as Google Docs, Google Calendar, E-mail and/or Microsoft Office.